Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Brownies for Breakfast

"It smells good in here" I announced as I walked in the house; a pleasant revision on, "what's that smell and where is the darn dog? " which is the normal refrain when I enter.

"I made brownies" my 13 year old piped in. "We didn't have anything else to eat in the house". With mom, dad and the 16 year old out for the night, the 13er was in charge.

"You had brownies for dinner?"

"Yep. But we didn't have any milk so it wasn't really like dinner, it was more like a snack."

My American Dietetic Association membership card just spontaneously combusted.

Why we didn't make soup or eggs or mac and cheese I have no idea. I imagine the conversation went something like this. I'm hungry....mom's not home....nothing to eat.....let's have brownies. What else are you going to use these eggs for?

I was still contemplating this logic as I grabbed my meal replacement brownie for breakfast and strolled out to the car in the pre dawn hours. The chocolate goodness worked it's magic as I barely noticed the small tidal wave of water that rolled out my car door and landed on my shoe. The windows were left open and of course it rained most of the night. Apparently it is easier to escape your pursuer when you can go in and out of the windows while playing car tag. Perhaps if you camoflauged yourself as a wet beach towel you’d fair even better, no one would ever find you in the back seat.

I love my children. They are going to make me prematurely gray and wrinkled, but I love em.

And I love that I’ve been given a great country and a good home in which to raise my kids. I love that I can go out and run and come home to brownies for lunch and a game of tag.

My life is simple, difficult at times, but simple.

There are a lot of moms around the world who do not share this luxury, so this time, they are why I run.

Please join me and my running buddy Dawn as we train and raise funds to help the moms and kids in Africa. You know how it works, I have generous friends J Please click the link.

(oh, and secretly join me in hoping to venture to Africa in the near future to visit the kids we are helping-but that’s just between you and me)

1 comment:

  1. I love your children, too ;) And they have the best mom they could possibly have.

    ReplyDelete