Monday, September 20, 2010

Running the Race

In two weeks, I hope to run my first marathon. I'm starting to get a little nervous, but mostly because I've been having some trouble with my right knee hurting the last few runs. Hopefully some tender loving care and rest will bring some healing.

One of my all time favorite passages in the Bible is Hebrews 11 and 12. Hebrews 12:1-2 says:
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I love this image. We are all on a race, a journey leading towards heaven. There are lots of witnesses and encouragers along the way. We are commanded to run and persevere, to throw off all that hinders us and FIX OUR EYES ON JESUS. Often when I am running these verses come to mind. Fixing my eyes on Jesus--what does that look like daily? I see it as reminding myself of God's grace, keeping an eternal perspective, persevering in love and joy, and peppering my day with prayer. May that be my focus on this marathon race of life!


No comments:

Post a Comment